Tips for Relieving Constipation After Bariatric Surgery
Posted: December 1, 2021
Constipation can occur in the weeks following weight loss surgery due to several factors including decreased hydration, insufficient fiber intake and less food consumption overall. If you are experiencing discomfort, remember that your body is going through significant changes and an adjustment period is both normal and expected. However, there are some ways that you can relieve constipation faster.
If you’re having trouble with regular bowel movements, these simple tips may help!
- Drink Benefiber or Metamucil
- Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity per day
- Drink at least 64 oz of water per day
- Incorporate plain probiotic yogurt into your diet
- Take a gentle over the counter laxative (Miralax)
- Try cooked blended vegetables (only if you are at least 2 weeks after surgery)
- Increase your daily intake of fibrous foods such as steamed vegetables (only if you are at least 6 weeks after surgery)
Some additional helpful post-op reminders:
- Don’t eat salads or raw vegetables until at least 2-3 months after surgery (and remember that some patients won’t tolerate raw vegetables until approximately 6 months after surgery)
The clinical team at Alabama Surgical Associates are here to be your ally and partner in lifelong health and wellness. You can count on our continued support and can contact us with any questions you may have about post-op diet, nutrition, or lifestyle.